Sunday, April 3, 2011

As It Turned Out

I didn't make it to Connecticut until today and rather than a burger at Five Guys I went to another great local eatery that I found on my still favorite site, Roadfood.com. I have just fallen in love with this site. So many times when letterboxing I am in an area that I have never been to before and I hate to eat at places like Arbys. Bleh. This great site has pointed me to some really outstanding local favorites. Today I went to the Olive Market in Redding, about three miles from where I was hiking in Devils Den Preserve. I had their special chivito sandwich. This is a Uruguayan style "Dagwood" of thin-sliced filet mignon with ham, bacon, a fried egg, lettuce, tomato, and melted provolone cheese all piled into a focaccia bread and toothpicked together with an olive on top. It was very yummy.

I had a really nice hike inside the preserve and snagged some tasty boxes. The trail was an easy one and the boxes were far enough apart that I was able to maintain a nice brisk pace and a healthy hike between boxes with no huge rocks to scramble over or streams to ford that can break up the pace. I had been there on March 5 and only gotten one of the boxes. There was still so much frozen snow and deep soft snow that I was not having a good time and had to go too slow. Today I found the rest of the series with no problems.

Sunny, windy and mild. Good day.

1 comment:

Wisconsin Hiker said...

Sounds like a great day! We had hail & sleet & gray skies all day... still waiting for spring to arrive in WI.